" -- Where do we go?"
" -- Nowhere."
" -- For how long?"
" -- Forever."
- Hell is the no man's land between life and death.
- Hell is the long wait as the executioner's axe falls.
- Hell is when nobody waits with you nor for you.
- Hell is when you must live like an animal or a plant and your non-animal and non-vegetable faculties scream in terrible protest.
- When you are in Hell the devils assign you a companion in despair -- despair.
- Hell: you are the centre, the horizons equal zero.
- Hell is empty time, empty life.
- Hell is when you live for 'anaesthesia.' Hell is also when you reject anaesthesia and "you look into the abyss and the abyss looks at you" (Nietzsche).
- Hell is fear that tomorrow will be like yesterday and today -- and it is.
- Hell is when there is no reason to live nor courage to die.
[Back to beginning of the chapter]