Aphorisms presented in this Compendium were not yet written or not found
in time to be included in New Extracts.
- Fight the enemy with its own arms; confuse the confusion.
- Evolution: suffering that didn't kill.
- Can the road be a guide? The road is you and motivation is the guide.
- Objectively speaking, the only thing that doesn't abandon you is time.
According to our abilities, it may be too much or not enough. The most
important ability of all is the management of time.
- The creator entertains by uniting contradictory ingredients which
simultaneously unify and diverge, like the same tune performed on different
instruments (or vice versa). Enough uniformity to create presence, enough
variety to create movement.
- There are rules of composition and there are compositions that escape
all rules, based on intuition.
- Music is the only expansion that leads us through time. Music makes us
enjoy passage of time because time is a river on which floats the melody.
Other experiences are timeless; even literature allows us to turn back and
forth, independent of time, while sound is unidirectional.
- In music time becomes melody, joyful transformation; time runs and we
stop, attached and detached simultaneously.
- When the artist or writer feels blocked before an unfinished work, his
efforts usually make things go worse. At the most unexpected moment he may
be liberated in glimpsing an illumination, not of what is but of what
should be. Where does this gift come from? The only answer is: effort and
critical judgement are more linked to craftsmanship or mass production than
to creativity. The senses and the brain, which, like muscles are tools of
effort, tire quickly and using them in a creative process would be
equivalent to cutting with a dull knife. In the creative process perception
has to be sharp and instantaneous as a camara click, and the brain
'catches' and enjoys this instantaneity -- the road to enlightenment. The
senses and the brain are the natural receptor of universal harmony, on
their own terms. Inspiration carries you like a magic carpet, you don't
stomp upon it.
Why are we the way we are? Everything in the universe is of a common
fabric, only we are in a niche apart. We are the mirror in which the
universe reflects itself. Maybe the Final Theory will reveal the mystery of
the self-fulfilling universe.
- When is work perceived as 'good?' Simply when each detail is accepted
by its immediate neighbour, the neighbour is accepted by its neighbour
forming a chain which we perceive as a total symphony. All this occurs
simultaneously which distinguishes a musical symphony from its visual
- The gist of the writer's or artist's life: talking to himself.
- Dreams, handwriting, express our style; they are creativity at the
unconscious level, 'automatic depth' without inspiration -- where does it
- Consciousness and motivation generate each other. The more the
execution is blocked, the more acute becomes the consciousness. Resistence
sharpens consciousness. Consciousness is a late fruit of rising difficulty.
- Free will: the attempt to escape the play between gravity and wind. We
can express our free will in the framework of our beliefs, because
objective reality is less accessible. To be aware of the train's movement
one has to be outside the train and we are never outside of ourselves.
- Our life evolves in conditions of four alchemical elements: earth,
fire, water, air. The elements of life which don't obey the laws of
gravity, temperature, atmosphere and solubility belong to other, more
elusive domains like intuition or inspiration. Emotions and sensations are
in between, like the photon which is considered simultaneously energy and
matter. There is no such thing as obvious genesis because the effect is
always different from its start; 'pre-thoughts' must be totally different
from thoughts, motivations different from 'pre-motivations.' It's always a
quantum leap on which our deductive capacity stumbles.
- Synthesis is not the summing up of analysis. Success, instinct,
inspiration and other elusive particles of life are not a sum of their
ingredients, but, using quanta's term, megaparticles.
- 'Justice' exists in a dead world where everything falls automatically
into place. 'Justice' is momentum.
- Growing mushrooms of wisdom in the cave of solitude.
[Back to beginning of the chapter]
[To Be Continued]